A vibrant range of topics, subjects and experiences for all groups of pupils promotes their strong spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
From the moment you enter our school, it is clear that the arts are something that excites us and is celebrated throughout. We gained Arts Mark Gold in the spring term of 2014 and we have embedded the arts in all areas of the curriculum. We have specialist staff in music, dance and art, and we employ ‘Artists in residence’ to work on particular projects and to develop staff skills.
The arts come together in whole school activities such as focused Arts Weeks where all lessons have a creative purpose. The ‘Rock Challenge’ gives the older students an opportunity to perform alongside their mainstream peers in the community. They are really excited and motivated by this. The arts are also used to enrich student’s extra-curricular activities with clubs in music, film, art, singing, ukulele and keyboard
The arts provision at Mary Rose Academy enables all pupils to develop capacity for self-expression. The arts curriculum offers wonderful opportunities for pupils to respond to the world around them through visual, tactile and sensory experiences.
- Enable pupils to express preferences, communicate needs and be supported in making their own choices and decisions towards using mediums within their own work.
- Develops creativity and imagination through a range of activities.
- Offers pupils the opportunity to develop their fine and gross motor skills
- Increases pupil’s awareness and understanding of their environment and the world through exposure to the arts in different times and cultures.
- Encourages pupils to become artists in their own right whilst developing self confidence and self- esteem.
Don’t take our word for it, take a look at what we achieve and see for yourself….